First, this is not a judgement on the IKEA business model or the quality if IKEA products. Second, I once bought thousands and thousands of dollars of IKEA products in Portland and transported them 5 hours away to Southern Oregon in my pickup truck and trailer.

Word spread quickly, so I was asked to make the trip every six weeks or so for about a year and a half. I would often assemble items for friends and neighbors, so I'm very familiar with IKEA. Their product is popular and that Portland store was very well managed. My experience at the store in Centennial has been quite different.

I've seen incomplete labeling and sloppy displays along with over and understaffing in various departments. The As-Is department is a mess and is full of merchandise that isn't moving. The final straw that broke the camel's back for me and my wife was getting caught up in the age old trick of a deceptive center aisle display. After waiting in lengthy lines to check out, a product rings up for $20.00 more than the tags attached to the product in the display.

After the charming clerk dutifully and sincerely tried to clear it up on her checkstand phone, the manager said, "Tell em to pound sand!" (I paraphrase). It was uncomfortable to go through as the folks in line behind us were eager to check out and go home too. We elected to leave the product for them to pay staff to return to the display. Many would have just caved in and paid the extra $20.00.

Given the sheer volume of traffic in the store, a handful of mispriced items can add up to significant revenue to that manager's performance numbers. I walked back to the display and thoroughly documented the deception with several photos.

Review about: Ikea Customer Care.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments