2.6K views

The Ikea store in Massachusetts refuses to provide electric carts for handicapped customers.They provide wheelchairs so that a person with a disability becomes dependent on someone to push them around the store.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was written so that people with disabilities are not dependent of others. Ikea's policy results in the exact opposite. I don't want anyone pushing me around.

Ikea states that electric carts are ruled out by the company because of the "high cost and liability concerns with electrical carts".Then how can others stores and supermarkets afford to provide them to there customers?

Comments

Went to the brand new Ikea in Fishers, Indiana and found they don't have mobility scooters.No scooters = no $ from me.

Same for Fry Electronics. Huge mega stores are out of the question for many of us if these scooters aren't available.

I would be OK signing a liability waiver and/or even paying a REASONABLE rental fee.But no scooters means I cannot shop these stores.

Greed, that is why IKEA does not offer mobility for disabled!

Want be visiting the new store here in Jacksonville, I here there’s no mobile carts for people with disabilities... I would love to walk the store but do to my disability I I’m unable to vist so I want be spending my money with you ... NO MORE IF MY MONEY !

I agree.I can't shop at Ikea because they dont have electric carts.

It is outrageous condidering what a huge dtore they have.This really sucks.

This is appalling IKEA,get scooters cheap scates!!!!

Actually, the ADA act forces companies to make sure a wheelchair has access to a building, bathrooms etc.It assumes that if you are disabled your doctor and insurance have made sure you have the required mobility devices provided to you for 24/7 personal use, thus no store should have to take on the financial burden of providing anymmobility device to you.

Stores have chosen to do so to make it easier for customers to shop.If your doctor doesn't feel you need a mobility device like this then they probably think you need to be walking more and you should give it a shot instead of being demanding and acting entitled to things you are not entitled to.

to Anonymous #1389486

Mobility devices require home to have proper door openings or insurance will not pay. Car lifts cost approx $1200.

to Anonymous #1434143

That's really snarky.!!!

You must not be disabled. Lucky you.

I love Ikea so much

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, stores must be handicap accessible, through things like reserved parking spaces, wheelchair passenger loading zones, and handicap accessible entries,

but it says nothing about supplying wheelchairs.