This is the letter I sent to the IKEA customer service email address.On Thursday, August 10, I went to your store in Tampa to purchase a sleeper sofa for my 90 year old mother.

I picked one out. As I was buying it I asked two very specific questions - if she didn't like it could I return it? And, would they pick it up if assembled? Matt, the sales person, told me that I had a year to return it.

He also said they would pick up for free, assembled or not. Saturday, August 12, Mom decides the couch is "horrible." So, I attempt to call to get a return pick up schedule. The first try at the customer service number, I gave up after an hour; the second try I gave up after 40 minutes. I finally got through on the third try after 1 hour and 28 minutes.

This is when things get bad. First, I am told that there will be a pickup fee and the item will have to un-assembled. It took me two hours to assemble it! I am also told that it will take 48 hours for the ticket to reach the store, and they will get back to me within 48 hours after that.

I can take the item back to the store myself but it has to be un-assembled. The CSR now tells me, it would be faster to go back to the store and talk to the returns department. Why do you have telephone CS, that takes forever to get hold of and then does nothing? Why not just say on line or on the phone that you need to go back to the store?

I repeat what I was told by Matt. She says it is in the printed policy I was given. Okay, my fault for not reading the two pages of very small print. I thought asking was going to cover that.

My mistake. I didn't expect to be lied to. I asked to speak to a supervisor. So, now I am told that if I take it back to the store it can be assembled.

Great. Now, I have to drive 40 miles one way, 45 miles the other to return this thing. Did I mention that if I had known it wouldn't get picked up I wouldn't have brought it? Before I do this though, I am going to drive down to the store and make sure I wasn't lied to again.

Another 25 miles drive but worth it, I guess. Given the track record currently, I may get the wrong information there, too. I am very disappointed in Ikea. I have brought many items from your company.

I have helped many friends load stuff into my truck from your store. No more. Never again. I will never go into another of your stores.

I will not help anyone buy from your stores.

I will complain to everyone I know about your terrible sales force and your horrible customer service.Deb Hicks

Review about: Ikea Sofa.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

Had an Experience with Ikea?

Comments