Tujunga, California
4.9K views 21 comments

I purchased an IKEA Kullen Wardrobe a few weeks ago and I am still having problems. I wanted to give a disclosure for anyone who is thinking about purchasing the wardrobe. My goal is to dissuade you, and if I am not convincing, then to give you enough information so that you know what you are getting into. Here's a list of things IKEA *does not* tell you before you buy that may change your mind about your purchase:

1. You need a drill to put this together (the instructions say a screw driver is OK, but you have to place 10+ screws into thick composite wood, I broke down and bought a drill).

2. You need to buy wall mounting screws

3. There is no warranty on this product

4. The doors may or may not be level or flush when you are finished

5. Once its assembled you can't return it

6. If want to make any sort of claim you have to take the 228 lb assembled wardrobe back to the store.

The assembly of this wardrobe takes an entire day plus. I spent about 6 hours in one night and I didn't even finish. My other peeve is that it has a cardboard like back to it that you have to nail to the wardrobe. If you don't put it exactly and I mean exactly right you end up with nails sticking out into the main compartment of the wardrobe and pieces of the inside having flaked off. The reason I am really writing this review is the doors, once I installed them on the wardrobe, they were crooked and the two main doors have a huge gap in between. Apparently, it's a known problem and IKEA just tells you to adjust the hinges until its straight, well I tried that for hours and it didn't work. Other than that they just tell you to see a store manager, which I will do, but we'll see how that goes.

Review about: Kullen Wardrobe.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $150
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Ikea?

Submit review

Comments

A drill isn't necessarily required, but it does make life easier.I'm a girl that built this by myself in 2.5 hours, only needed another person to lift into standing position.

The doors would adjust, it just takes patience.And finally, for $150, it's really functional and decent, no where can I find another waredrobe that affordable.

Gobi

I've owned two Kullen wardrobes and I've assembled and reassembled them after moving a few times.It's one of the best IKEA products I've ever owned.

It takes me less than an hour to assemble it from scratch and my door angles are very easy to straighten, even on a wonky floor.

Original poster here must have no experience with basic construction and even less common sense.

RichieRich

It took you a whole day to assemble it?!!!!No wonder you can't adjust the doors correctly or hammer in the nails to hold the backing.

IKEA = assembly required. If you aren't a "handy" person then don't buy IKEA.

You are blaming IKEA because you can't figure out how to put it together correctly. Its always someone else's fault right?

The truth is you don't have the minimal skills required to assemble the wardrobe.

Its YOUR fault, not IKEA's.People like you is why we have warnings on cups of coffee.

to RichieRich #983001

I have to agree with Richie, the quality of ikea products is 70% dependent on the person installing it. perhaps what ikea forgot to label is " handyman required" Dont blame Ferrari if you do not know how to drive a sports car.

CheapIkeaisCheap
Galgon, Aquitaine, France #446252

Wait, you buy the cheapest wardrobe Ikea has ever had available and are surprised by poor quality? :upset :grin

That said, the Kullen wardrobe is decent value as it costs next to nothing and is a solid if cheap-looking wardrobe when properly assembled. Putting it together takes some effort but shouldn't take more than two hours if you have ever held a screwdriver before. It is *heavy* though, so if you're planning on moving it, either be prepared to disassemble it or have some lifting cords and strong guys available.

I personally dislike Ikea furniture as assembling them is frustrating and time consuming, and apart from some exceptions (e.g. the Hemnes series) they look and feel cheap, but still, the Kullen wardrobe is good for its price. You get more than you pay for.

spiderman

I have been purchasing and assembling Ikea products since the Stoughton store opened and have not had any trouble with them.My wife is from Europe and Ikea products are in use by so many people is it almost a national standard.

Missing parts like drawers can sometimes be found in the AS-IS section at each store. Pretty much anyone with a slight touch of mechanical aptitude and common sense can put together Ikea furniture. All to often people try to do something, ie. assembled furniture when the have no patience, understanding or even the ability to bake a cake by themselves.

Some people should stop whining and pay for pre-assembled furniture.Plain and simple.

Chanti

I just got this wardrobe off Craigslist, and we are still putting it together.Unfortunately, the dummie that sold it to us forgot to give us the drawers and now he doesn't know where they are.

Thank God he gave me my money back but told me to just keep the wardrobe. Which is Awesome! BUT. I now need the drawers!

Or replacement number to order the parts? Anyone wanna sell me their drawers?

:) Thanks!lol Chantibabi@gmail.com

antoinett

I have the same wardrobe and the tall boy to match, and i found it to be great, going on 2,5 years now, and still looks like just came out the box, i was a bit upset though as i went to go buy another and they now no longer stock it,

Happy Ikea Customer # 2

Hi,

I have 2 of the Ikea Kullen Wardrobes and they Are totally worth the price.

I moved 3 times since I bought them (hence they have gone through 3 dis-assemblies and 3 re-assemblies) and they are still perfect.. I guess it comes down to the care you put into it.

Andrew

I see IKEA have withdrawn this product.

I'm a Landlord and was looking for the cost of the replacement for this wardrobe as an existing one has fallen apart after 2 years.

I have decided after reading this I'm just going to buy a new one and not charge the tenants anyting as it was obviously a flawed design in the first place.