New York, New York
1.4K views 14 comments

This is the first time that I've ever written a customer review about anything. My experience with Ikea was comically terrible and I felt that writing a review highlighting my experience would give me a small sliver of recourse and hopefully save someone else from the exceptional levels of frustration that can go along with shopping at this retailer.

I bought a bed from Ikea on a Friday that came in two boxes. When I got home, the materials in box 2 very obviously did not fit with the materials with box 1. I called customer service to try to figure out what happened (why materials that were in box 2 were incorrect).

I spent an hour and 15 minute on the phone with multiple people. I found out that the model of the bed that I'd purchased had an old model and new model – however, the old model boxes were intermingled with the new model boxes on the merchandise floor, with no distinction – this is how I ended up with two incompatible boxes.

The Ikea customer service staff did not seem to hold any power or ability to help to solve their error. They were disconnected from the rest of the business – they could not communicate with the staff at the store or the delivery team when they need to clarify information related to my case. Most frustratingly, they were seemingly completely uninterested in working to fix Ikea's error - it was more like a line to listen to customer complaints than a way to solve problems.

Ultimately, after significant pushing from me, they agreed to call me back the following day to coordinate a day for the box with the correct material to be delivered. Over the next two days, the call did not come. On the second day after my call, I decided to go back to the store.

I waited 45 minutes in the returns and exchanges line before speaking with anyone. It was 45 minutes only because a man in line with a lower number (we received numbers upon arriving) was exasperated – he gave me his lower number ticket and left in disgust – in hindsight, there is no doubt that I should've taken his lead.

When I finally got to the returns and exchanges counter, the attendants were again unempowered and were seemingly making an effort to be unhelpful. In addition, there were not knowledgeable about their products (at least the customer service representatives could understand the old/new model distinction). Ultimately, I was given a receipt and gift card to purchase the correct box 2.

I then went to the merchandise area to get the correct box 2. I waited roughly 20 minutes in line at the checkout counter. Once I got to the clerk at the register, he said that I would not be able to buy box 2 without box 1. For the third time (after the first time on the phone with customer service and the second time at the returns and exchanges counter), I explained what had happened. I showed him the receipt from the returns and exchanges counter (which was time stamped, showing him that I had been there just minutes earlier). He called some sort of authority figure in the store over who then told me that I would have to buy the full bed over again.

At this point, I was appalled at the egregiousness of it all. Rather than lose my temper, which didn't seem productive (although may have been a little bit cathartic), I left the store. I went directly to another furniture store and bought a bed. I then went home and threw out my partially assembled Ikea bed – it was not worth returning to the store to return the bed – I would rather swallow the cost of the Ikea bed than face the prospect of dealing with such willful unhelpfulness again.

Ikea's initial error was in faulty inventory stocking. However, the real failures were in (1) their inability or unwillingness to communicate among different parts of the business (customer service, delivery, returns and exchanges, and the checkout registers were all totally unable to communicate with one another) and (2) their unwillingness to work constructively to fix an Ikea error in order to help a customer.

I would shrug and say that this was an isolated bad experience – but the 45 minute line in the returns and exchanges section, along with people leaving the line in disgust, suggests that my experience is not unique at all. If you are looking for furniture: as a fellow consumer, I strongly suggest that you shop elsewhere to avoid the frustration that can go along with shopping at Ikea.

Kevin

860-946-9151

Review about: Customer Service.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Ikea?

Submit review

Comments

Socalshopper
Irvine, California, United States #1318520

I hate IKEA.I will NEVER buy from them again because their customer service is nonexistent.

I returned a sofa, refund transaction processed in their Costa Mesa, CA store. NEVER received an actual refund on my credit card. I'm filing a fraud complaint through my credit card company to get my money bank. That's the only way to deal with them.

I repeat, I will never shop IKEA again.They're even worse than Target.

Optimus82
#820747

Terrible service regarding Delivery Issues and Customer Service Phone Hold Times.Here is the CONDENSED version:

•Multiple delivery service problems similar to those experienced by Bernard Marr in his Linked-in Post - https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140325060328-64875646-dear-ikea-your-customer-service-is-terrible

•Customer Service Issues similar to those experienced by Bernard Marr in his Linked-in post:

•Disconnected after 1st call to customer service - after going through several voicemail prompts

•“Your wait time will be approximately 40 minutes” - recorded message received at second call

•Actual wait time was 73 minutes or only 83% longer •“Your wait time will be approximately 67 minutes” - recorded message received when I tested the voicemail system to see what the current wait time was, with a second phone line, as I was waiting on hold •90 Seconds.

I called Customer Service to allegedly ask for help in making an online PURCHASE to test how fast they would answer the phone if I wanted to BUY something. 90 Seconds! •Over an hour to wait for service if you have already made a purchase. •Once I reached customer service, the Service Rep told me: •I should have called IKEA to inform them of the missing item even though their Delivery Company informed me of the missing item first and told me that it would be delivered the next day.

It was never delivered.

•It could take 72 hours or more to...

Ticked Off
Manchester, England, United Kingdom #714642

Paid to have wardrobes delivered only to find the doors were different to the ones on display and online.Tried to phone customer services 3 times on an 0845 number, giving up each time after two 30 minute and a 45 minute wait.

Trying the online chat help centre was no better.Total rubbish customer service.

Toulon, Provence-Alpes-Cote D'azur, France #713217

Same here in France.For the life of me, I don't know why a company cares so little about its reputation.

I ordered a couple of shelves (couldn't fit them in the car). Half arrived unpackaged, dirty and slightly damaged (nothing too serious). Quality is Ikea, you know what you get, two pieces of wood for $100, but I needed something urgently. The problem arose when it turned out a basic element to attach the shelves the the frame were missing, and I tried to call customer service where I had to hang up after being on hold for 40 min.

I tried online, found a form but no button to send it at the bottom of the page. Hilariously bad.

'll just throw the whole shelf away, it's an expensive lesson and a waste but a lesson anyway.Take a wide berth when you hear the name Ikea.

anyonymous
Brentwood, New York, United States #704130

100% agreed, IKEA has HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I had so many issues with my bed- they did not deliver it on time, and there was a piece missing, etc.

I called the customer service number (which takes forever) and they told me they can't help me and to go to the store and speak with a manager- I went to the Long Island store and was treated TERRIBLY by both Nachelle and Allie (who is a manager)!

They didn't care at all about the mistakes that THEY made- they gave me a partial refund on my shipping fee, when I asked for more ALLIE, the manager started giving me attitude. She also had to mysteriously disappear to a "meeting" in the middle of our conversation. Both Allie and Nachelle were very rude and the rest of the staff at that store were nice, but dumb.

All I wanted was a full refund on my shipping fee ($60), and they could have kept me as a customer but Allie was dead set against not giving me one. So now I'm going to dispute the charge and take this to corporate.

UpYourAssIkea

Unbelievable. I HATE Ikea so much. I do not even want to go into detail. I will never, ever buy another thing from them again.

What a bunch of worthless *** *** their customer service is. They said they would replace a part their incompetent employee put in my cart - the swivel bottom to a chair I bought - and then I get a call from some southern illiterate two days later saying they will not replace it and that it's my fault, not the *** who they employ to help people.

I spoke with two other ***, *** ladies (who you knew were fat and had french fries, soda and mcnuggets somewhere closeby) and they gave me tons of attitude and no help. Finally I talk to "JIM" or some *** dipshit manager and he says, "well, I reviewed your case and I won't be able to tell you anything different than these fat *** told ya," or something along those lines. I said fine, you lost a customer and go *** yourself. The end.

joy001
New York City, New York, United States #548471

I got a very bad experience from Ikea Brooklyn home delivery service.This Satursday, I spend more than $3,000 at Ikea Brooklyn store.

I payed for the delivery and assembly fees, but I only got delivery service yesterday and I found they lost something that I already payed. The company who charges for the delivery and assembly told me that Ikea only arrange for delivery not for assembly, I need to call Ikea. So I called Ikea back then the nightmare began. My phone call either was tranfered to voicemail system or when they heared my voice, they just hung out, or the different people gave me different answer.

I left my meassage in the voicemail box, but I never got any response. It took me more than 3 hours keep calling them, but I still didn't get any information. This is really very frustrated and drive me crazy. I asked my friend to help for calling them, and I was told that they said I didn't pay for the assembly.

It's ridiculous, I payed for the delivery and assembly fee's totally more than $300.

And what I want is just the information: What time I could get the assembly service and what happened for the staff that I didn't find?Nobady gave me a proper answer.

Jimmy

I bought a couch at the Ikea store for 1300 2 weeks ago.They told us we would receive a call 8 days ago and it would be delivered the next day.

Ikea never called, but we have been having every family member call Ikea in their spare time. The first customer service lady that we talked to (which actually took 4 different phone calls to finally reach a person) was completely unhelpful. She said, "i don't know where your order is and I cannot do anything about it." We called again and finally were able to speak to the manager of the incompetent customer service people. She told us she also did not know what was going on but would be sure to figure it out and call us back before 5:30 that day.

5:30 comes no call. Next day no call. 2 days later still no call. We called during those days and only received her voicemail.

Now we were lucky enough to have an extension number so we could get right to one of the people when calling. 5 Days later we still haven't heard from her. After more calling, her manager was suppose to call us back yesterday and still has not. Ikea's customer service would be handled better by a team of new born apes.

I have been sitting on the floor of my apartment for the past two weeks. If i didn't really love the couch that should be here, i would cancel payment and go buy something somewhere else.

I still have a little fight left in me.I will be going to the big blue and yellow place of doom soon, and wont be leaving...

Shannon

Customer service is truly bad, but I'm not laughing!We paid for delivery of a table and four chairs but a crucial part of the table was broken, so it could not be assembled.

I called and was on hold for 30 minutes and the service rep told me they couldn't get me a new part for 2 days. Since we had already taken the other table apart, that was not satisfactory.

A service manager said there was nothing he could do and then I was cut off.Who knew Ikea would be so bad.

Joe

Bought a Manstead sofa from Ikea. 4 hours after assembly we discovered that one of the last few ieces we need to put together is defective.

Tried calling Ikea. It takes 30-45 mins to get through a call. And the lady who responded was unhelpful (unbelievably unhelpful). It seems the only way is to give back the whole sofa, get a new one and assemble thw hwole thing again, when all that is needed is one box out of 4 to be delivered.

For all the show that they put up in the store, the management is handled by real cheap folks who dont care for anything except ur money.