It is with a heavy heart that I write this horrendous review of my recent experience with IKEA.I have been an avid IKEA customer and advocate for the past twenty years, and have always raved about how much I love IKEA.

However, my loyalty and love for IKEA all ended at the beginning of this month. On May 6, 2017, I visited the IKEA store in Orlando, FL to purchase a second HEMNES 3 drawer dresser for our new nursery. It takes me about an hour and $10 in tolls to get to the nearest IKEA store, but I had no problem doing this because we really wanted this dresser. The next day, my amazing husband got to work building the dresser, and we discovered that the holes were drilled incorrectly in four major parts of the dresser.

I called Customer Service and was on hold for almost 45 minutes before I was able to talk to anyone. I spoke with Jen, who pretty much informed me that the only option I had would be to return to the store and see if they could give me a discounted price or refund/exchange for the dresser. I informed them of the commute and cost of returning to the store, as well as the fact that I am 8.5 months pregnant, and they said that there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to Brendon.

He also informed me that there was nothing else that could be done at the time. I suggested that my husband could drill the extra holes that were necessary, and Brendon informed me that IKEA would be able to provide me with a 30% discount if I sent pictures to aftersales_resolution259@ikea.com. He informed me that I would be hearing back from somebody within 24-48 hours. My husband drilled holes himself, and we sent the pictures via email.

Four days later, I still hadn’t heard back, so I called IKEA’s customer service number once again. I was on hold once again for almost 45 minutes until I was able to talk to someone named Jeff, who asked me for a Case Number, which I said I do not have because I was never given one. He said that there was no way for him to look into my claim without a Case Number. I asked him if he would look up my email address to see if they even received my email in the first place.

He looked up my email and said he found my email with the pictures, and that the pictures would be sufficient for me to receive my refund, but that he would need a picture of my receipt and some additional information. I asked him to please reply to the email with a list of things that I would need, as I was in the car and did not have all the information with me. He said he would do that as soon as he got off the phone, and that I would hear from someone within 48 hours after I send what they needed. But, I got no such email.

So, I went ahead and was proactive and sent them my receipt at least because I couldn’t remember all the other things that I needed to send them. I left my phone number and asked them to please call me if they needed anything else from me. Again, I heard NOTHING back. I waited and waited, trying to give IKEA the benefit of the doubt (because as previously stated, I really truly did love IKEA).

I called back on May 21, 2017 to try and see what was going on with my refund. I was on hold for yet another 35 minutes, and finally spoke with a guy named Derick. I was given the runaround once again and was given a hard time because I could not provide them with a Case Number. I informed Derick that I never received one.

He finally assigned me a Case Number and told me that he was going to call the store about getting the refund. He placed me on hold again for over 40 minutes, at which point someone else named Kayla answered the phone asking me what the problem was. She looked up my Case Number and apologized for the inconvenience. Kayla informed me that the best that she could do at that point was to honor the 30% discount and offer me an additional $20 IKEA gift card, which I declined.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and was then transferred to Marshall. Marshall initially informed me that the best that he could do is the 30% discount. When I told him that Kayla had offered me an additional gift card, he said he could honor that as well. After further discussion, he informed me that he would give me a 40% discount back to my card, but that I would need to wait approximately 48 hours to hear from someone to provide them with my card number to get the money returned to my card.

Marshall also informed me that, for whatever reason, he was unable to see the attached photos of the damaged pieces in my email and requested that I send them again if I wanted this refund to be processed. I sent the email immediately, and he said it would just be a matter of 48 hours to have someone call me. Marshall warned me, however, that if I don’t answer the phone or return their phone call within 48 hours, IKEA would send me a gift card and I would have to physically go to the store to get my money back instead of just getting it returned to my card. The next evening, I received a missed call and voicemail at 8:55pm from Leona, asking me to call her back regarding my return.

I was so excited because someone had FINALLY gotten back to me from IKEA. She left me a phone number with extension to call back to process the return, so I called back that same evening to try and see if she was still in. The phone number said that it was not accepting calls at the time. I tried several times, with nothing.

I looked at my call log and noticed that she had called me from a completely different number, so I tried calling her back at the original phone number she used, and it worked! I dialed her extension and was sent to voicemail. I left a message, asking someone to get back to me. NOBODY EVER DID.

So I called again the next day and left a message again. Again, nobody called me back. Not knowing what to do, and heeding Marshall’s warning that I would potentially not be able to get my money back on my card if I didn’t get in touch with someone within 48 hours, I called the main customer service line to see if they could help me. I was on hold for 50 minutes before I was able to talk to an actual person.

In the meantime, I had gotten home from work and found an envelope from IKEA with a gift card for the amount of my refund (postmarked for less that 24 hours after Leona left a message for me). I explained the situation to Jenny in the Resolution Department, and she transferred me to Paul (manager of the cash department). Paul informed me that there was no possible way for him to put my money back onto my card because this was not store policy, and that I would have to physically go to the store to get the refund back onto my card. I told him that there was no way that I was going back to the store, especially after going through a whole month of craziness to try and get this ordeal figured out.

He asked who had left me a message, and I informed him that it was Leona. He said Leona was in the store currently, and that he would find out what was going on. Paul got back on the phone with me with no apology, and said something along the lines of, “Oh, I guess Leona got special permission from Brendon (the original manager that I had spoken to) to put your refund back onto your card.” He finally got someone named Stephanie to put my refund back onto my card, and I was told that I would just have to wait until it showed up on my bank statement. I thanked Stephanie and asked if I could speak with Paul once again.

I asked Paul if he could transfer me to someone in Corporate, and he said he couldn’t do so. I then asked to speak with the manager of the store, and he said he would transfer me. He ended up hanging up on me, and I never got a chance to speak with the manager. I am so annoyed with this entire process, and way too pregnant for me to want to deal with being put on hold for another 45 minutes just to speak with the store manager, so I’m just going to give up on this fight and blast my experience on the internet for anyone that might care to read.

This was the most inefficient and grueling process I have ever had to go through to get someone to finally do something about a refund situation.

I feel like IKEA customer service does not care about their customers and does not follow through on any of their empty promises.What a slap in the face.

Review about: Ikea Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Ikea?

Comments

Also, hate that IKEA discontinued store credit. Bring it back, IKEA!