I bought a buffet or as IKEA named it "side board" which I liked, and it worked for 5 years. Last few months the cabinet buckled under its own weight and it became worped at the bottom.

I tried to return it and of course they told me that the furniture has no such long warranty. But should anyone spend $400-500 for furniture that colapses under its own weight? They answered that under no circumstances I would not get a refund from them.

IKEA is not backing its own product. IKEA HAS BAD QUALITY ITEMS AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE A CHANCE TO BUY ANYTHING AT IKEA AGAIN.

Review about: Ikea Cabinet.

Comments

uh, yeah, i agree........ i work in retail and i have NEVER EVER heard of a company that will let you return something after 5 years.

almost anything can break after 5 years, thats just ridiculous. most places offer 30-90days AT BEST.

if you think that Ikea was in the wrong over this then i have to tell you that i doubt any company is going to satisfy your unrealistic expectations of customer service.... not to mention that Ikea specializes in modular/cheap/build it yourself furniture...not high end lifelong purchases

Limit yourself to bed coverings, rugs, curtains, kitchen ware and so on and you won't have to worry about things falling apart. It's really easy for me to see when I visit Ikea, to limit myself to the above, NEVER buy the furniture and beds, etc.

Why would anyone expect an Ikea couch for instance, to stay together for 10 years? No way. Even a couch I bought from a known retailer (expensive) fell apart after ten years. Stuff isn't made to last that long anymore.

It's called 'planned obsolesence'. Google it.

Your request makes no sense whatsoever.

You seriously expected to return furniture after five years? A sideboard isn't going to be just fine for five years and then "suddenly" buckle and collapse, and you certainly cannot blame them for not refunding your money after that amount of time.