I recently purchased 30 SLOM bottles w stoppers at the IKEA store in Elizabeth, NJ at a price of $3.99. The problem is that the online website advertised the price at $2.99; the website also mentioned that this item is not available online.

When I got to the store, I expected to pay somewhere around the advertised price, not 33% higher per bottle. If I had known about the pricing, I would have shopped elsewhere but after investing the time to get to Elizabeth, I ended up forking over another $30 and I feel ripped off. While there is a subtle disclaimer at the bottom of the web page that states that "pricing may be different", 33% seems inordinately large. Not only did the cashier mention that these sorts of pricing problems occur frequently, but the pricing issue stalled the line of about 10 customers behind me, and then, the online IKEA chat-person (w whom I spoke earlier today) mentioned that the online presence is not affiliated with any of their stores.

The chat-person was no help other that to regurgitate the company line. WTF? Maybe this is how the founder of IKEA is getting rich. Is this a common business practice in Sweden?

That is not how I expect to do business and I expect better from any business, foreign owned or American. All I can say is that it will be quite some time before I go back to another IKEA.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ikea Cashier.

Comments

Like it or not, this is pretty much standard practice. Have you ever checked prices on websites versus stores anywhere else? You'll find a similar situation with Wal-Mart, Staples, JC Penney, etc...