Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Even Walmart can do customer service better than Ikea

When Ikea first opened a store in Tempe, my wife was so excited. We don't live close to the store, so we planned a special trip... Our first trip lasted nearly four hours, and I swore that I'd never go back, especially after I got home, opened the boxes, and discovered that there was hardware missing. After an extensive wait on the phone, I was able to talk to someone who promised to send the missing parts. Three weeks later an envelope showed up with the hardware. Tonight I once again find myself in need of hardware for an Ikea product. I looked up the phone number listed for the Tempe store, called, and was given the run-around by a trained parrot who would only say that she couldn't help me, that I would need to come to the store and talk to the folks in charge of spare parts and such. When I asked to speak to them directly, she said that that wasn't possible. I asked why not and she said that she was actually in a call center somewhere not even close to Arizona, and that the actual store doesn't have a phone.... If I ever go back (my wife still loves the place), maybe before I leave I'll open up all of my boxes in the middle of the floor, do a hardware inventory, and make a general nuisance of myself. Then when management comes and asks me what I'm doing, I'll tell them that I'm taking preemptive action against their general indifference to proper customer service and the inconvenience that I'm sure to experience as soon as I walk out the door.

If she ever comes back to this site and if she works in the one in Brooklyn, she probably lost her job and her kids anyway. *** she has probably been on Maury. "I slept with 300 men and still can't find my baby's daddy!" IKEA does offer an inspection table after checkouts to ensure everything is there.

Tasha probably works at IKEA in brooklyn. I'm gonna be *** and generalize based on her name. Perhaps she needs to flip burgers or take care of her 4 kids she had by the time she was 18.

Totally rude, Tasha, and unnecessary. Everyone has the right to their opinions, and actually, this man MAYBE used one comma incorrectly. And if I lived that far from the store I'd consider opening the boxes to check for all the parts as well. Ikea isn't paying to fill my car with gas if someone at the warehouse makes a mistake.

The only questionable thing in this post, in my opinion, is the why this man still lets his wife talk him into shopping at a store that he hates.

This isn't about putting others down, though, Tasha. Don't be ridiculous. You're the kind of person that I would probably tell to "behave" in public.

Even an eight year old knows how to make separate sentences instead of posting a lot of commas. Also if you would come in and open the boxes you must be eight years old. You still need mommy to make sure you behave in the store.

View more comments (3)
Review
#207897 Review #207897 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Ikea actually delivered a used leather sofa!

Purchased what we thought was a brand new leather sofa. Ikea delivered the sofa at around 7 pm...Delivery guys left and then discovered upon opening the boxes that the sofa pieces were not wrapped inside. Hence the leather was rubbing inside against the cardboard, leaving some nicks in the corners. Called Ikea immediately, who said simply return the sofa to the store. With no truck I said it was not possible, I wanted them picked up. Ikea replied, after starting the claim process, that this would take a minumum of 7-10 days! So I either find a way to take them back my self--rent a truck--more expense--or go to war with Ikea and get them to pick them up in a timely fashion. Looks like im going to war!

The only problems I've ever had with IKEA was backlog items and we live 135 miles away. Broken items were shipped to us and only issues we had we created ourselves. :grin :p

#209504

I do not understand why you would "go to war" with Ikea? They are a cheap supplier of cheap furniture.

Want to know one way they keep their costs down? By not having a truck ready to pick up every defective piece of furniture a customer complains about. Yes, I agree, customers come first, like the customer who is awaiting their furniture in a timely manner to arrive that would otherwise be late if the truck would have to go pick up your couch. Have patience.

You should have inspected the couch when it arrived. I recently had furniture delivered and know that the driver will not leave without you signing off on the paperwork.

I am sorry but this is your own fault, starting with opting for Ikea. You get what you pay for.

Review
#206367 Review #206367 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Product

Ikea in Brampton, Ontario - Customer Service LOUSY

Bought a wardrobe, paid for deliver and assembly. The assembly guy found some items damaged when he opened the boxes. Now the irritating part starts... --- i called customer service and had to wait 1 hour to speak to someone --- i am told it will take a week for someone to follow-up with me --- i was advised to go back to the store if i needed faster service, otherwise i will have to wait longer for this to be resolved!!! a pregnant woman trying to get things organized does not need this stress. So i have to live in the midst of boxes and incompleted pieces of the assembly for however long... i am at their mercy totally pissed customer, brampton ontario canada

FOREVER! HA HA HA HA HA!

Interesting. I had a few things delivered from the IKEA store in Portland, Oregon. The rug I ordered was damaged by the truck dolly - oil stain. Soooo after numerous phone calls and emails and a revisit to the store I'm still without my rug.

What's interesting is I've done a fast web check and have discovered that there are very few people happy with IKEA's customer service.

Wonder how long they'll be able to get away with their special brand of complacency.

Review
#206295 Review #206295 is a subjective opinion of poster.

IKEA won't honor AMEX refund

1. Checked stock on Ikea products (said they had 163 pieces in stock) 2.Drove over an hour to get there, (we live in remote area, they don't ship those items) 3. Ikea had NONE in stock 4. Bought similar product, using husband's AMEX card. 5. Didn't look right. 6. Took day off to drive back items and get refund. THEY WOULD NOT HONOR MY AMEX CARD. (Same account) 7.They wanted to give me a GIFT card to store! Say What!??? Why do they even THINK I would WANT to come back to a store that has a Customer DIS-Service Department. It never fails with Ikea, they always make you unwelcome if you attempt to return anything! I am done with Ikea. Consider it before you buy

In order to protect their customers from credit card fraud, AMEX doesn't issue the same credit card number to separate people, even if they are on the same account. These "non-transferable" cards are to help fight identity thefts!

Legally in the United States, retailers are not allowed to credit a card which has different numbers printed on it. The numbers on the receipt have to match the numbers on the card, whether your husband and you share the same account or not.

Don't thank IKEA for this inconvenience, thank AMEX. They're the ones madating this, and it's for your own protection!

Review
#206276 Review #206276 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Ikea in San Jose, California - No quality control and rude customer service - or lack thereof...

I purchased a bunk bed from IKEA. During assembly, I noticed that two parts were defective. The holes on these parts were not drilled all the way through, so it was an obvious manufacturing defect. I drove to the store for the second time. After waiting in line for more than half an hour, I was given two replacement parts. I went back and tried to finish the assembly, but I found out that the parts I were given were incorrect, the hole locations did not match. I drove back to the store for the third time and asked for replacement parts with the correct hole locations. The customer service person asked for my driver's license. When I asked why they need my license (looks like they wanted to scan the info) they said this is the "policy for returns and exchanges". When I tried to point out that this is not a discretionary return or exchange, and I am simply trying to get replacements for defective (or incorrect) parts, the response I got was "This is our policy. If you don't like it, I will have to ask you to leave the premises immediately". I don't think asking for driver's license (and not to just look at it to confirm the identity of the customer, but to scan information from it into a database, which would probably go to a company like TRE) to replace a defective or incorrect part is acceptable policy for any store that respects the customer.

*** people you guys are more retarded than you can't get worse, everywhere you go you need a receipt and if you don't want your name taken than carry your *** receipt!

My issues with IKEA are also customer service and quality control. I've only been to the Schaumberg, IL store twice because it's a bit of a drive for me.

I went to check out their mattresses and had an unusual experience.

No one was in the mattress area, so I walked over to the next section where they sell bed frames. Two of the mattress people were helping customers there; I signaled to each one I was waiting for someone to help me. I went back to the mattresses, and nether one came to help.

After a half hour I left the bed section and saw both associates talking to each other, without customers. They never came to help me. I went to buy my mattress at Sears and got excellent service and a great buy.

Of the several items I bought at IKEA that day TWO of them were damaged. A small piece of sauna wood furniture for my bathroom came with a large scratch straight out of the box, and a white duvet cover had black marks along one corner seam.

Yes this happened to me to at IKEA Schaumberg IL. I returned expensive items. They asked for my drivers license and proceeded to scan it in a special scanner that reads the digital strip. All kinds of personal information is stored on this strip. I told them I didn't want to be in a system, because I have a restraining order against someone, and it is extremely, extremely, difficult to protect your address and privacy nowadays. Even my credit cards have a PO box address. But my drivers license has my home address. They refused to give me my refund. On top of that the supervisor was very unfriendly, and did not apologize or at least show any understanding. They treated me as if I was crazy to request this.

I think they will use this info for marketing and research purposes, or sell my information.

Next time I will tell them my boyfriend dropped me off and I don't have a drivers license.

View more comments (2)
Review
#204095 Review #204095 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Ikea in Elmhurst, Illinois - Won't honor there returns on flawed product

Becareful what you purchase from IKEA. If there are flaws that you can't see when you purchase it due to packaging and try and take it back, they won't take it back because it is flawed. Then you are stuck with it. . . Learned the hard way. We know have a mattress that had flaws in the cover that we can't use. Great way to waste space in our house. We called customer service when we got it home and mentioned the spots and they said it was normal. So we had issues with the mattress not fitting our needs and went to return and get another. They wouldn't take it back because of the discoloration. They said they looked at the security footage and it was rolled tightly in the plastic, which we agreed so we couldn't see it when we bought it. They have now lost what was a good customer and anyone else I can convince to to buy from IKEA.
Review
#204008 Review #204008 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss
It is the black and white flooring and it is awful!! My husband had a horrible time installing and he has put in lots of different flooring..this is totally defective material and it should not be sold in stores. The floor doesn/t even lock like the Ikea installers...
#719992

BUYER BEWARE- utter *** and all flooring is in the process of being discontinued. Paid a carpenter to install and said it was defective- tried to return and got the run around.

Next step is contacting corporate. :(

View more comments
Review
#202191 Review #202191 is a subjective opinion of poster.
DIS-GRUNDTALED -  Ikea's GRUNDTAL Light Doesn't Work
You need a suction cup to change a lightbulb? I purchased a set of 4 individual GRUNDTAL lights for over my wardrobe. When I got home, I found out that the lights required additional cords and device to connect them that was not indicated on the package. But the...

The brain is a wonderful thing. If you used it you could have discovered that wrapping some tape around your hand works just as well and would've taken a lot less time and effort than *** like a *** on a website. Cheers *** face.

View more comments
Review
#201303 Review #201303 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Ikea in West Palm Beach, Florida - In a week I have gotten three delivery

The first part of this message is copied from the previous complain because it matches mine. "I will never purchase another product from Ikea ever again. They have the worst customer service ethics I ever experienced.The product I purchased from there was a bed frame and headboard." The freight company has given me 3 different delivery days and when I called Ikea they say that the delivery is with a tranportation company and basically they don't have control of it. I paid Ikea for the delivery, but if I cancel the order I have to pay the delivery and other costs.
Review
#200989 Review #200989 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Ikea poor customer service!

I will never purchase another product from Ikea ever again. They have the worst customer service ethics I ever experienced.The product I purchased from there was a bed frame and headboard.They do not tell you that some of the parts you will need are a seperate purchase.It is rediculouse how they do not make an effort to help you load the boxes on your cart even if they are taller than you or even weigh more than you.Good luck if you order anything additional from Ikea such as additional needed parts. It will take forever to recieve and the packaging will come damaged. They do not do anything to compensate either for their poor customer service.
#196744

First off I have never been to an Ikea since that first time. I didn't go online.

When I was in the store I didn't even see my bedframe on display. An associate just told me what isle it was in and the bin number. They weren't even sure if it was in stock.That's how accurate they are with their stock. the isle where it was located I didn't see a sign saying additional parts needed near it.

throughout the store I saw signs saying don't forget additional parts but I had no idea that particular bedframe needed any additional parts and it was very scarce trying to find someone to even help or assist me with lifting the 6ft boxes.

I just wish that the workers at Ikea were more helpful because a first time shopper like me had no idea that extra parts were needed or even where they were located. It was my first and last time to Ikea.

#196313

Every single bed frame at IKEA has a tag on it that says you need the midbeam and slatted bed base (if not using a box spring) and in the aisle where you pick the bed frames, there are more reminders to pick the additional required items. Also, when you go to IKEA.COM and click on the Bedroom tab, it pops up a screen saying "dont forget to order slats and midbeam", sooooooooooo

Review
#200587 Review #200587 is a subjective opinion of poster.